Three WMSC Student Management Members Nominated for IBS Awards
Written by wmscweb on March 1, 2022
Members of the Student Management Team (SMT) at 90.3 FM WMSC were recently nominated for awards from the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS). WMSC and its members have been consistently nominated for awards by IBS and have won numerous ones as well, including “Best College Radio Station in the Nation (over 10,000 students)”, in 2021.
“It is wonderful for our students to be recognized for their excellent work ethic and leadership skills,” said Anabella Poland, General Manager of WMSC. “I’m proud of their work and accomplishments everyday, but now the rest of the nation knows what I have known all along – we truly have remarkable people in student management positions, and their work is elevating student engagement and the quality of work done at the campus radio station!”
Music librarian Jared Tauber was nominated for “Best Music Director”. Tauber has been an instrumental part in making the station’s main music show, Tunes on Tuesday, into a professionally run show with a different artist interview each week.
“When I told my dad that I was nominated for a radio award he said, ‘I thought we sent you to school for film’,” Tauber said. “Touché, Dad. I’d like to thank Anabella Poland, Kaya Maciak, Charlie Falotico, and Madison Everett for their guidance, mentorship, and support—and of course, IBS for the nomination. I love this station, I love my mission, and I love my music team. Long live college radio.”
Anandaji Cruz Rosario, News Director at WMSC, was nominated for “Best News Director.” In addition to running a well-oiled news team and producing the station’s lead news show, MSU Newsroom, she led Election Night Coverage for the 2021 New Jersey gubernatorial election.
“Being a part of WMSC has taught me so much that it helps me not only in school, but at home and at work,” Cruz Rosario said. “I have learned how to listen to not only my needs, but my teams. I’m constantly learning how to be a better leader from others around me. I couldn’t have done this without our general manager, Anabella Poland and my fellow SMT members who are always there for me and the News team. I can’t wait to accomplish more with my team as the semester progresses.”
Sabrina Hajsok, WMSC’s Office Director, was also nominated for “Best Business Director”. She has been a key force in creating the station’s newsletter and organizing the station’s events and charity work, such as the WMSC Gives Back event where the station donated toys to children in Paterson, N.J.
“It fills my heart with so much gratitude and joy to have been nominated for Best College Radio Business Director,” Hajsok said. “Since I joined my freshman year, WMSC has pushed me and made me step outside of my comfort zone in so many ways and I am eternally grateful for that. This nomination feels surreal and I owe it all to the station and the amazing people who have inspired me these past three years. One of my greatest decisions was joining this station and I will forever be thankful for the opportunities and experiences WMSC has brought me.”
“I’m incredibly proud of Jared, Daji, and Sabrina for receiving their well-deserved nominations,” said Kaya Maciak, the Station Manager. “Each individual has demonstrated persistence and determination to execute their tasks and lead their departments. They’ve shown dedication to the station and its members, and it’s been an extraordinary journey watching them grow and witness their hard work be recognized.”
The station has been nominated for 13 other nominations, including:
- Best College Radio Station (more than 10,000)
- Best Celebrity Interview: Weird Al Yankovic- Jared Tauber (WMSC) and Amanda Cunningham (WNUW)
- Best Political News: VP Kamala Harris to Visit Montclair State University- Ben Petruk and Yazemin Yilmaz
- Best Spot News: Gov. Murphy Hudson River Project- Anandaji Cruz Rosario
- Best Station Promotion: College Radio Resilence- Jared Tauber
- Best Show Promo: Stromp N’ Stroll- Tara Cicchetti
- Best Station ID: Spooky Station ID- Jake Goetz
- Best Use of Video in Radio Studio: Marconi Reel Video- Kaya Maciak, Jared Tauber, Nate Williams, Sabrina Hajsok, Yazemin Yilmaz
- Best Live Music Broadcast: See Plus- Nate Williams, Mike Foley, Celine DaSilva, Kenny Horn, Kaya Maciak
- Best Promo Series: Earth Notes- Gabi Lutz, Solona Brol, and Zach Tagioli
- Best Radio Drama: The Nightmare Before College Radio Day- Jared Tauber, Ben Petruk, Kaya Maciak, Tara Cicchetti, Jake Goetz, Nate Williams, Celine DaSilva, Kyle Pepitone
- Best Program Promotion: The Nightmare Before The Nightmare Before College Radio Day- Jared Tauber, Ben Petruk, Kaya Maciak, Tara Cicchetti, Jake Goetz, Nate Williams, Celine DaSilva, Kyle Pepitone
- Best Use of Social Media: Instagram- Patrina Geiger and Yazemin Yilmaz
The winners of the IBS awards will be announced on March 5.